Evaporative cooling in Europe
Given your interest we transcribe here the article published in the following link:
Evaporative refrigeration equipment has proven its efficiency in modern industry, where it is widely used in all those processes that require cold. In this context, cooling towers and evaporative condensers provide energy efficiency, lower economic costs, respect for the environment and safety for health.
Currently, there is an important manufacturing industry that chooses evaporative cooling in almost all applications that must dissipate heat, so that this technology is used in most industrial applications where cold is required: petrochemical and pharmaceutical industry , food, automotive, steel production, manufacture of electronic and semiconductor components, power plants, cogeneration plants, industrial refrigeration and machinery.
In short, these devices are fundamental elements in a large number of production processes that use the condensation of refrigerant gas in refrigeration facilities.
Its role in the European and world industry is indisputable, insofar as they allow to reduce the expense associated with both the use of air conditioning and the demand for cold in industrial processes, having been established as one of the most effective alternatives in the field of the refrigeration.
Energy consumption in Europe
The electricity demand of the main countries of Western Europe increased in 2017 in a generalized way with respect to the previous year. According to a report by the AleaSoft company, which specializes in the development of forecasts in the energy sector, countries such as Spain, Italy and Germany shared this growth. However, others, such as France and Great Britain, registered a decline.
In this context, metallurgy, the chemical industry, the production of non-metallic mineral products, the manufacture of motor vehicles or the food industry are some of the sectors that generate the highest energy consumption. Industries all in which the cold intervenes in the manufacturing processes, and the production of this cold requires, in turn, electrical energy. In fact, maintaining the correct temperature of fluids or rooms within these industries is so important that it can have a high impact on the profitability of the plants. The processes of handling and manufacturing of finished products are long and, practically in each of the steps comprising, some type of cooling and / or heating is needed.
Consequently, any action aimed at improving energy in the cooling and air conditioning processes will have a strong impact on the global consumption of any of these industries.
Here where evaporative cooling comes into play. Betting on this technology benefits the entire industry, to the extent that, in this way, reliability, energy efficiency and optimal cost-quality ratio are guaranteed.
The evaporative cooling industry
Refrigeration with mechanical compression refrigerating machines with water condensation, cooled with evaporative equipment, constitutes a market in constant growth at a European and global level, both in terms of the number of facilities and in terms of the number of companies supplying said equipment. The use of evaporative cooling is also supported by a remarkable manufacturing industry, which chooses this technology in almost all applications that have to dissipate heat and that has shown its concern with the restrictions imposed on these equipment and that endanger the progress responsible industrial
It is estimated that in Europe there are more than 500,000 installations that use evaporative cooling equipment. The most important European manufacturers of these facilities are associated in Working Group 9 “Cooling towers” of the Eurovent / Cecomaf association. This Group focuses its work on the environmental impact, safety and efficiency of heat dissipation systems against which evaporative cooling technology provides effective solutions.
Applications and contributions
Evaporative cooling is a natural process that uses water as a refrigerant and is applied to the transmission of excess heat from thermal processes and machines to the atmosphere. Its main contributions in the sectors where it is used are:
- Reduction in the cost associated with both the widespread use of air conditioning and the high demand for cold in the production and industrial processes, which are mainly responsible for the high energy demand that currently exists.
- An ideal combination of energy use and installation cost, resulting in an optimal investment / performance ratio compared to similar solutions.
- Increase of energy saving, since, compared to similar alternatives, the energy used for the heat evacuation or for the cooling process is low, and also the consumption of the ventilation motors is lower.
- Efficiency in the process: it is a highly effective technology that allows to ensure maximum performance by significantly reducing the energy lost and favoring the elimination of waste heat.
- In air conditioning and refrigeration installations, energy efficiency and electric power consumption are directly related to the condensing temperature of the refrigerant used in the refrigeration system. In a typical air conditioning installation, the comparison of energy consumption shows illustrative figures: water condensation equipment, including cooling towers and evaporative condensers, would offer, compared to air condensation, savings in consumption of up to 45%. %. Another example in the same line would be the one produced in the refrigeration facilities, where the powers absorbed, when the condensation of the refrigerant is made by water cooled by evaporative towers and condensers versus when it is made by air, are significantly lower.
- The reduction of the greenhouse effect and indirect CO2 emissions, thanks to the savings in electricity consumed, and direct by the lower risk of refrigerant gas leaks.
At present, there are more than thirty manufacturers in Europe with more than fifty manufacturing plants for this equipment that provide work for more than 7,000 employees and generate an average annual turnover of over five hundred million euros.
Evaporative refrigeration equipment are fundamental elements in a large number of production processes that use the condensation of refrigerant gas in refrigeration facilities.
Without the cooling towers and evaporative condensers many of the processes of these facilities could not be realized or they would do it at a much lower yield. In addition, there would be a greater consumption of natural resources, such as water, with the consequent threat to the environment.
Article made by the Technical Commission of Aefyt (Association of cold companies and their technologies)
Control y Ventilacion, S.L. is a company of international renown within the industrial and livestock sector, for being a manufacturer of products within the evaporative cooling sector, such as the HUMIBAT, evaporative plastic cooler; or its NUCLEOS towers, Cooling Towers. In both products, the substrate in which the evaporative process is produced is a plastic honeycomb, a honeycomb resistant both to physical and chemical attacks, and at the same time flexible, a honeycomb with a mesh structure, made of polyethylene High Density, and marketed under the names of PANAL C & V or in the case of being a drop separator, SEPARADOR C & V .
For more information you can see the following links: